Always remember that Jesus Christ, a descendant of King David, was raised from the dead. This is the Good News I preach. And because I preach this Good News, I am suffering and have been chained like a criminal. But the word of God cannot be chained. So I am willing to endure anything if it will bring salvation and eternal glory in Christ Jesus to those God has chosen. - 2 Timothy 2:8-10
Let's be real, some days are just that hard, aren't they? I know some of mine are, and I know I'm not the only one.
And so, I have compiled just a few tips for those times. It's hard to remember what to do when these times strike, so I'm hoping writing it down will be a good help for me.
- Allow yourself to feel what you're feeling. There's a balance between painting on a smile and pretending to be fine or totally giving in to despair. Find that balance and then allow yourself to feel what you're feeling. Acknowledge that this sucks. Talk to God about it. Be honest with yourself. It's okay to not be okay.
- Process through creativity. Choose a favorite activity that brings you peace or joy and then figure out how to use it to praise God. Sing, write, color, draw. Create crafts, speak poetry, take photos. Let your talents out and give the glory to God. Even just fifteen minutes of this can make a load of difference.
- Make a deal with yourself that involves time passing. No matter how impossible or dire a situation seems in the moment, give God time to work it out. What we feel in those bitter times never lasts as forever as we think it will. Even if the situation doesn't disappear, God will grant you oasis in the desert. He has not forsaken you. Make a deal with yourself to just not take any drastic actions until tomorrow or until next week. God is moving.
- Make room in your mind. Many times when things seem darkest, I recognize that the voice in my head masquerading as my own voice is not actually mine. It's many times the voice of the enemy. I remind him right out loud that there is no room for him in my heart or my mind, because the Holy Spirit lives here and He doesn't share space with darkness or lies. Do you need to evict him from your mind, too?
- Replace the lies. It's time to replace those depressing and obsessive thoughts that try to keep us in the stifling places. Replace them with scripture. Replace them with song. Replace them with words from a friend or family member who loves you. It's not enough just to know they're a lie. Steal their power by finding truth to take their place.
I hope these tips will help you. Know that I pray for you daily. Thank you for being a part of my life.
Dear God, please help us all to feel less alone. Please help us to know less despair, less darkness. How can we ever thank You enough for Your glorious warmth and light? We love You. In Jesus' Name, Amen...
If you have been helped by this post and think it could be helpful to someone you know, please share this post on the social network of your choice for me.
All you have to do is click one of the buttons below.
May God Bless You,